ISRAEL POLITICAL BRIEF
ISRAEL POLITICAL BRIEF: ISRAEL NEWS
Israel Under Fire: More Than 200 Rockets Fired From Gaza
More than 200 rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip, and struck major population centers in southern Israel in the last 81 hours. More than 1,000,000 Israelis are under the threat of rocket fire.
Terrorists, such as the PRC (What is the PRC?), are firing rockets into the cities of Ashdod, Be’ersheba, Yavne, Netivot and Ashkelon; as well as into the Eshkol and Shaár Ha’Negev regional councils. Iron Dome system has so far intercepted 52 rockets that were to land in densely populated areas.
This post will be updated with information as it arrives. Last update on 19:30, March 12th.
Monday, March 12th, 2012
- 23:00 – The Israeli Air Force struck a terror site in the Gaza Strip, thwarting a rocket-launching attempt.
- 19:30 - Update: Today, three Israeli civilians were injured and seven others suffered trauma attacks. The terrorists from Gaza continue to target Israeli civilians.
- 18:30 - Update: Just today, 42 rockets struck Israel and 23 others were intercepted by the Iron Dome. Since the recent escalation, a total of 153 rockets from Gaza have struck Israel. The Iron Dome system has intercepted 54 rockets out of 69 attempts.
- 17:00 - After terrorists launched rockets from within a residential area in the northern Gaza Strip earlier today, two suspects located at an exact location used to launch rockets were targeted by IAF aircraft. Suspects were later discovered to be uninvolved civilians.Read more about the human shield tactics used by terror organizations.
- 16:10 – Video released of PRC Spokesman admitting that Hamas is allowing attacks against Israel. By allowing the PRC to operate as an ostensibly independent group, Hamas is able to carry out terror attacks against Israelis while maintaining an official stance of “restraint”.
Israel Under Fire: Damage caused by rockets fired from Gaza
- 14:49 – Breaking: Another rocket fired from Gaza at Israel hit Ashdod, Israel’s sixth-largest city.
- 14:15 – Update: Six more rockets struck southern Israel. Three other rockets were intercepted by the Iron Dome system.
- 12:15 - Palestinian terrorists fired three mortars on the Palestinian side of the Gaza Border Crossing, Kerem Shalom.
- 12:05 - Video: In response to more than 180 rockets fired from Gaza into Israel, IDF targeted Islamic Jihad weapons depot.
- 11:41 - Overnight, 25 rockets fired from Gaza hit Israel. The Iron Dome active defense system intercepted 5 more rockets. Since the beginning of the latest escalation, the Iron Dome has intercepted a total of 49 rockets.
- 9.35 – An IAF aircraft targeted a terrorist squad that was preparing to fire a rocket at Israel from the southern Gaza Strip.
- 07:10 - Overnight: Six terror sites targeted in Gaza, both in the northern and southern parts of the Strip. Initial reports indicate approximately 20 rockets have been fired into Israel since midnight.
- 06:30 – False reports of IDF aerial strikes on Sunday night, including the death of a three-year-old girl, were debunked.Commander of the Aerial Defense Command visiting Iron Dome: “More than 200,000 children can’t go to school because of these attacks.”
Sunday, March 11th, 2012
- 22:27 – As of now 107 rockets landed in Israel from Gaza. The Iron Dome system intercepted 43 rockets out of 52 attempts.
- 13:37 - IAF aircraft targeted a terrorist moments before firing a Grad rocket at Ashdod.
- 12:15 – Photos: Ruined farm building in southern Israel after a direct hit from a rocket originating in Gaza.
- 11:55 - Earlier this morning, IAF aircraft targeted a terrorist at a rocket launching site from which two rockets were fired at the city of Ashdod a short time beforehand, in the northern Gaza Strip. A hit was confirmed. Ashdod is home to over 200,000 Israeli civilians.
Saturday, March 10th, 2012
- 8:38 - Overnight, IAF aircraft targeted a terrorist squad that was in the final stages of preparing to fire rockets at Israel from the northern Gaza Strip.
- In addition, IAF aircraft targeted two rocket launching sites, in the northern Gaza Strip, used by terror organizations to fire medium-range rockets into Israel (over 40 kilometers).
- 23:00 - In response of the ongoing rocket fire at Israel, IAF aircraft targeted a weapon storage facility in the northern Gaza Strip. A direct hit was confirmed. More than 130 rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip, and struck major population centers in southern Israel in the last 35 hours.
- 21:43 - A mare was killed, and damage was caused by a rocket from Gaza directly hitting a house near Ashdod, home to over 200,000 Israelis.
- 20:28 - In light of the ongoing rocket attacks, schools in southern Israel are to be closed tomorrow.
- 19:30 – Approx. 135 rockets have been fired from Gaza, 74 landed in Israel. Iron Dome intercepted 28 out of 31 attempts–a 90% success rate. Regarding the recent strikes, IDF Spokesperson, Brig. Gen. Yoav Mordechai: “The aerial strikes were surgical and precise, with no collateral damage to innocent bystanders.”
- 18:10 - Over 90 rockets have been fired from Gaza into Israel, and over 70 have landed in Israeli soil. The Iron Dome system has intercepted 27 out of 30 attempts–a 90% success rate.
- 17:40 - A senior operative in the Popular Resistance Committee terror organization was targeted in an IAF strike. IDF Spokesperson, Brig. Gen. Yoav Mordechai: “So long as Hamas enables Popular Resistance Committee and Islamic Jihad rocket fire at Israel, we’ll continue to act against it.”
- 16:45 - In response to the rocket fire, IAF aircraft targeted two terror activity sites, at two separate locations in the northern and southern Gaza Strip.
- 14:50 - IAF aircraft thwarted a terrorist squad from firing a rocket at Israel from the southern Gaza Strip.
- 14:00 - IDF Chief of Staff, Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz held a situational assessment in southern Israel and ordered forces to prepare for a heightened escalation. As of now over 94 rockets have been fired from Gaza, 68 of which landed in Israeli soil. Iron Dome intercepted 25 out of 28 attempts.
- 12:00 - As of now over 70 rockets have been launched from Gaza at Israeli communities, out of which 67 landed in Israeli soil.
- 11:45 - The Iron Dome active missile defense system has intercepted 27 rockets - which were fired at the cities of Be’er Sheva, Ashdod and Ashkelon, together home to over 520,000 people. 25 attempts out of 27 have been successful thus far.
- 7:00 - Over the past 24 hours, over 45 rockets have hit communities in southern Israel–injuring four people, one severely, one moderately and two lightly.
- Overnight, IAF aircraft targeted two weapon manufacturing facilities and two rocket launching sites in the northern Gaza Strip, a weapon manufacturing facility in the central Gaza Strip and a terror activity site in the southern Gaza Strip.
- In addition, IAF aircraft targeted a terrorist in the central Gaza Strip and six additional terrorist squads who were in the final stages of preparing to fire rockets at Israel from separate locations in the northern and the central Gaza Strip. Direct hits were identified.
Friday, March 9th, 2012
- 23:00 - Four people were injured today; two severely, one moderately, and another lightly.
- 22:20 - The Iron Dome System has intercepted so far one of three rockets aimed at Ashdod and four of four rockets aimed at Be’ersheba–two cities with a population of more than 200,000 each.
- 20:00 - Earlier today, IAF aircraft thwarted two terrorist squads from firing rockets at Israel from the northern and the central Gaza Strip. Direct hits were identified.
- 17:30 - IAF aircraft targeted two members of the Popular Resistance Committee terror organization in the Gaza Strip – a senior operative, Zuhir Mussah Ahmed Kaisi, and a collaborator, Mahmud Ahmed Mahmud Hananni. The squad had been responsible for planning a combined terror attack that was to take place via Sinai in the coming days.
Over the course of 2011, more than 600 rockets launched from the Gaza Strip struck southern Israel. One million Israelis are sleeping tonight under the threat of rocket fire from Hamas.
The IDF does not seek an escalation in the region. However, the IDF is prepared to defend the residents of Israel and will respond with strength and determination against any attempt to execute terrorist attacks.
Hamas uses other terror organizations to carry out terror attacks against the State of Israel and will bear the consequences of these actions in any future operation embarked upon by the IDF in order to eliminate the terror threat and restore the relative calm to the area.
- Lt. Col. Avital Leibovich (English)
- Maj. Avichay Adraee (Arabic)
- Cpt. Anna Ukulova (Russian)
- @Tsahal_IDF (French)
Map of Hamas Rocket Ranges
Rockets Fired at Israel, IDF Responds
Gaza Terrorists Fire Rockets from Within a Cemetery
IAF Targets Launch Site of Grad Rocket Fired at Israel